Saturday, August 12, 2006



First year planting garlic huge success.!!!






This past fall I wanted to try my hand or should I say my green thumb at growing garlic. For those of you that don't know, garlic is planted in the fall and harvested in the summer. So last fall I was out in the dark ,on the night before the first frost, planting my eclectic garlic reserve. Some of my cloves were handed down from friends, others plucked out of my fridge, not even remembering where they came from. Because of my late planting, I was not hopeful of a great harvest. So you can imagine my surprise this spring when I found tons of baby garlic sprouts shooting up. Which grew all summer with heights reaching up to 5-6 feet. Just a few weeks ago after the seed heads were dried up. I harvested over thirty heads of garlic. I think every clove I planted, produced! I was thrilled! I have already used quite a few in my new Lithuanian pickle recipe and can't wait to roast some up for all of you this fall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

WOW! I didn't realize it was that easy to grow!!!

I LOVE garlic! You need to make some garlic hummus - my favorite!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home