I am finally posting
I finally got a moment to actually sit down and try to type. The baby is sleeping in the moby.... oops... I guess WAS sleeping is correct now!! Goodness it's like he knows or something. Jen how do you do it? maybe once they get a little bigger they can amuse themselves :) Ok I have been thinking a lot about the whole teenager thing. I don't remember feeling teased at all when I was around the homeschoolers. I remember thinking how nice everyone always was. I remember when there would be a new kid we would all try SO hard to make them feel welcome and accepted. It was almost like a contest to make sure that they liked the group. Maybe we were desperate for more teen friends :) lol .. I really liked liz's comments and would have to say dido to all of them. However for me I feel that I was always a little nervous when I would hang out with public school friends that I wasn't "cool" or whatever. Like I would be behind in the styles and such. I think that may have been the reason I always was hanging around the boys so much. They didn't care as much about the fashions. but I was never tempted with drugs, smoking, drinking, etc. I guess maybe I was old enough by then to be like no.. that's dumb and not feel bad about saying it. or maybe that's just me and it would have been like that whenever I had been exposed. Leon had similar comments about boys.... they are mean!.. He hated that part of highschool. I think that's one of the major reasons he is so supportive of homeschooling.
One concern of mine has always been sports... and now that I have a boy I have been thinking a little more about it... not that my girl wouldn't like sports. I have always wondered what I would do about that. I got to go but I''ll write more later..
Ok, Well 2 days later I am trying to write a bit more. I just read Jen's blog on sports and thought it was funny I was writing the same thing.... gosh it's hard to type one handed :) anyway I have a friend who went to public school and private Christian school and says she would definitely home school as a first choice and then Christian school second. Another thing we were talking about was sports. She said that when she was in public school there was a family of homeschoolers that came to school for the sports only.... I always figured that would be torture for the kids... they'd be picked on for sure!!!! but she said that everyone loved all of them... so.... I guess that would be a possibility if he really wanted to play football for example... but for most part I think we can find other sports groups besides the school systems. I know our Y has tons of sports leagues. I also like the idea of church softball, etc. because then you can play with all ages of people.
well that's some of my thoughts on that... I like pam's idea that we can talk some on this when we are together. I can't wait for the trip!!
Oh, and as for dinner... I like that idea of putting what we made on here. I don't do that much fancy but I can never think of ideas!! last night I made shake and bake bL/sL chicken breast ( there was a box left over from Leon's bachelor days) and baked it in the oven on top of a bed of Mexican rice (rice and salsa) it was really good.
bye for now - Rebecca

1 Comments:
Becky - great to see you are finally posting around here! You will get used of nak (nursing at keyboard)! It does take more time however. :) I appreciated your insight and I too look forward to more chatting about this in NY.
So far my kids have all played in the Mahomet Rec programs and they have enjoyed it. There are also so many traveling teams that I am not sure that in this day and age the sports thing would be an issue - unless you lived somewhere like where we did growing up where there were no sports other then in the schools.
Jennifer
Post a Comment
<< Home