Sports/Boys
So I was at a party last night and was talking to a friend of mine about the whole jr. high - queen bees type of thing and she said, "Well God blessed me with boys." She said she has loved Jr. High (her oldest is in 6th grade). She said she thinks a BIG thing with boys is sports and keeping them involved in them. She said that the boys on the teams work so hard to pull together. The really care about one another. She has seen that it makes such a difference - like boys in sports and those not.
She also said that she thinks their faith has a lot to do with it as well. (She is a fellow Catholic) She feels that it keeps him solid and strong and knows that God is there for him no matter what. She told me a story (that made me cry - by the way) in which her son was getting ready for a wrestling match and it was an away game and he would be riding on the bus with the team and he was a little nervous - so he told his mom to go up to his room and get his rosary for him - which was under his pillow. He then later told his mom that he was cold on the bus on the way home and so he just prayed the rosary. I just thought this was sooo cool. I don't know of too many 6th graders (or even adults for that matter) that will turn to prayer in hard times.
So... I have been thinking a lot more about team sports - especially with Nathaniel as I know he isn't so much into the whole "sport" thing. But maybe there is something out there he would like/enjoy.
I also wanted to add that I think that keeping kids busy is another key. Kids left alone with nothing to do for long periods of time are going to get into trouble. Also how involved you are as a parent. If you are the parent that is always there - they know it and so does everyone else!
Goodness.... can you tell I have been obsessing about this lately?
Jen

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home